Wednesday 18 March 2015

Weeding - what kind of weeder are you?

After only having a garden since August, I can truly say weeding is what I hate the most but interestingly is one of the things that gives me most satisfaction when it is done.

At the beginning I wanted to weed everywhere, and then got tired quickly so in the end it looked as weedy as the start. Now, however, I have decided to tackle one bed at a time. I find it extremely satisfying to see the whole weed and roots come up. In my head I think: hah! You won't every grown again. (They probably will, but I like to live in denial about weeds.)


I suppose it depends on what kind of gardener you are. My landlord is somewhat obsessed with the fact that we keep the garden weedless, but I must say I have neglected the garden in the winter. I did start preparing some leafmould, to put on the earth for nutrients and avoid weeds growing, but he happened to come round for an issue we had with a tree and he disposed of them. I was not impressed. If I had a fuller garden and if it were mine I doubt I would dedicate much time to them.


Some people use weed killer. I use it on the slab stones, but I tried on the soil once and it must have got on one of my plants as its leaves went a bit brown! I like "plucking"; I use my fork and lever them up. There are some plants that I have left as I'm not sure yet if they are weeds or not. And of course, my daffodils are all in a neat line!

You need to get rid of the whole plant, not just the leaves but the roots too. That's why I don't mind if they take a bit of soil with them, as this means that all the roots are contained in that clump.



No comments:

Post a Comment