Monday 16 March 2015

From Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang to the Gro-Sack

Last weekend was a very productive one. I had a shortened day at school on Friday, so I made the most of the afternoon and potted some bare-root strawberries that arrived on the day, and I planted my seed potatoes that have been chitting for a while. I'm a little concerned that a couple looked a bit on the green side and soft, but I'll hope for the best and see how it goes.


I had ordered the whole kit from Marshall's at the beginning of February, I think. They send you 3 varieties of potatoes. In my case I got Charlotte, Hunter and Swift. They send 5 seed potatoes of each, some potato food and 3 Gro-sacks. As I don't have a lot of "allotment space" in the back garden, I thought growing them like this would be best - I think I will be growing a few things in pots, too. It works as follows:

1. Put some soil in the bottom of the sack. I think I put about 3 inches or so.
2. Mix the soil with the "food" - which came in the pack.
3. Place potatoes with shoots facing upwards.
4. Cover potatoes until you cannot see them.
5. This is optional, but label them if you want to know which ones grow best in your weather and soil conditions and to plant again in the future.

I've done it on the cheap side in the sense that I have not bought specific compost for it. I had a bag that I had to finish and a second one I got on offer of multipurpose compost - although they sell it as potting compost specifically. I don't know if it'll make a difference what type of compost you use. Time will tell!

I'm a tad worried that we can still get frosts; according to the BBC weather app, we could get to 1ÂșC this week! I might bring them into the greenhouse for a couple of days it it feels too cold.





No comments:

Post a Comment