Monday 17 August 2015

Weekend Project - Improvising support for sunflowers

Growing sunflowers is something I have enjoyed this summer. I planted them from seed, and at the time I would have never thought they would become so tall. Unfortunately, I did not listen to Monty Don and not only did I not stake them with a pole, but I did not even use bamboo canes. Consequently, due to the recent wind and wet weather, plus the height and weight of one of the plants, it toppled over.

I improvised a contraption that, while it is not perfect nor pretty, I am hopeful it will keep the sunflower up right while it flowers and eventually dies. As can be seen in this photo, it bent and severed the stem in the lower half of the plant.


Inspired by those old war films, I thought I might be able to save it if I put some canes around the stem and tied string around it in a such a way that it will not move. It did not quite work, it kept leaning to my left, so I attached some string to the back of the contraption and attached it to the fence to counter-balance the weight. It seems happy for now as it has continued to mature and I can see a hint of yellow. 





 I have learned my lesson, and next time I decide to have these beautiful faces in the garden I will make sure they have support, despite it seeming to do need it.b I'm looking forward to seeing 3 big bright yellow flowers soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment