Friday 21 August 2015

Show Me Your Garden #7

This week's SMYG takes us to the garden (and home) that Iy -so we don't get confused with 1st person I- shares with her mother A. I was surprised when I got to the drive, there was a lot of lavender, and different types at that, growing and mostly still in bloom. I was also impressed by the initiative of A to put manure on the front garden. She has about another 12 black bags to use. Iy told me that they have quite a few plans for the garden, so it would be nice to see it in 12 months' time when everything is established again.

I enjoyed talking to Iy about her view on the garden and asking A the questions. You will see there are groups of pots scattered around the grounds, which I loved. Pockets of colour and green in nooks and crannies surprise you in corners. I got the sense that they were very family driven and sentimental; for example they associate roses to Iy's late grandfather who sadly passed away. Iy and I talked about beekeeping, chickens and the traumas we had with wasps and, A particularly, frogs.







1. How long have you had your garden? 
 Personally, 24 years. My parents have had the house for 50 years and so tended to it before me. My father had 2 allotments where he grew veg, and I suppose I get the planting from my mother. It was not a passion initially, it simply needed doing. It was something to do after work. Now I enjoy the process of planting things and watching them grow.





2. What is the purpose of your garden? 
 Decorative. There are some herbs, and we might grow some veg in the future but nothing is set in stone yet.


3. Favourite plant. 
 Roses. My father used to grow them and we had lots all over the garden. Now we only have a couple, but we are going to put at least 6 in soon. We want to scatter granddad's ashes here.





4. Something you have tried and failed at growing / doing. 
 Delphiniums. The slugs get them every time.

5. Anything you would like to change? 
 I would like an improved lawn. I would also like to get rid of those conifers at the back, we would gain at least 5ft of land if we did. I would ultimately love a cottage garden.




6. What is your inspiration?  
 I go with the flow, really. I buy what I like the look of and find a place for it when I get home!









7. Finish the sentence: You wouldn't tell from my garden, but I...  
I am usually very anal and organised! The garden is a mishmash of plants, it's not regimented at all because people have given me or my parents plants over the years and they have a sentimental value attached.



No comments:

Post a Comment