Tuesday 25 August 2015

Weekend project: collecting seed

For the past few weeks I have been collecting flowers that have gone to seed. I have cut off heads (of plants, you understand) and I have spread them out on saucers in the sun so they dry. In doing this I have collected seed from two different types of viola, fritillaria (snake's head), bluebells, delphiniums and a pretty plant, loved by bees that was already here. Last weekend I collected poppy, lavender and sweet pea seeds. I either left the flower heads to dry in situ and then collected them, or I cut them and left them in the greenhouse to dry up with the sun and the heat.

I initially was using normal letter envelopes cut in half or quarters. However, I then wondered if perhaps I could find small (perhaps brown...?) envelopes that would fulfill the same function and be more pleasing to the eye. I came across these from Burgon & Ball and just had to buy them.



Delphinium pods that I left to dry on the plate.


Sweet pea pods that are currently drying in the greenhouse


Lavender seeds being separated from the flower


Poppy heads being left to dry




I don't have a huge number of seeds at the moment, so I keep them all in this wooden box. Perhaps they'll outgrow it soon, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment