Saturday 13 June 2015

Weekend project: veg planter and herb box

Can you be in love with a wash tub? Because I think I might be. With the help of the Open Gardens last week, I bit the bullet and put the items I bought at the Vintage Emporium into use.

First, I thought about the box as it is smaller. A herb box is what I went for. I'm sure I could fit a little basil in there as well, but so far this is what it looks like. I put some gravel at the bottom of the box to help with drainage, and then I simply filled it with compost and popped the plants in. If  I were serious about it, I probably should have lined the box, or coated it with something. However, for now, I'm going to leave it as it is. 

I have some peppermint, parsley, purple sage and lavender in there. 



I have put it in a corner very near to the back door. It is a corner where there isn't much, plus it's handy to just pop out and pinch what I need. I would like to add to this little corner with a furher pot or two. It has made it more interesting.



I also planted out my two courgette and cucumber plant. I still don't have any flower, but I can see the buds! Hopefully now they have more room they will flower to their hearts' content. 

The reason why I chose this weekend to plant the out - a part from the fact that Monty told me to last week- is that I made the mistake to leave the greenhouse door shut for a day or two this week. Consequently, some of the leaves have suffered from the kale, lettuce and courgettes I had in there. They will survive, but some are looking a little sorry for themselves. 



The tub was rather clean when I bought. I filled the bottom with gravel until the rust was covered.



Then I added the compost and played with the composition of the plants until I was satisfied and planted them. I will look into any companion plants I can add as I do. not. want. slugs or snails nomming on them. The courgette leaves smell really appetising, even if I am not a fan of courgettes myself. This might be the year I am converted!




A quick an easy project for a cloudy afternoon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment