Tuesday 16 June 2015

Taking cuttings

About two months ago my father-in-law and I had a browse around his garden and he gave me some herbs, etc to put into ours. He gave me some sage so I could take cuttings from. I had never done this before but I had seen Carol Klein and Monty do it on TV, so I figured I would copy them.

I selected some nice looking shoots, not woody, and took off the bottom leaves as you need to put the stem into the soil so it can grow roots. I put 4 shoots to a pot and covered it with a sandwich bag. I made sure it was well watered, mainly from the bottom but also adding water to the surface to keep it moist. After 4-6 weeks I removed the bag and let them grow in the greenhouse. Once you see new leaves growing it is a sign that the plant is still alive and so you can assume roots are being formed.

It was then that I decided to repot the shoots into individual pots.








 There are four shoots that had not produced roots, so I decided to repot them together and check up on them I a few weeks. I do have 5 shoots that rooted, so I am rather pleased with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment