Sunday 22 November 2015

Plans for container gardening in 2016

I have kept well inside this weekend!

One of the things I enjoy doing the most during the dark evenings and wet weekends of winter is planning what I am going to plant and grow in the year to come. I collect and store the catalogues and magazines I receive until there is literally nothing to do out back and I pour over them, circling and adding them to a notebook with a title of the vendor as header of a new page. Then the process of adding to the Wish List begins.

I have also been looking for planters and ladder-like constructions to get some height in the backyard. I have found a website of a small company called Ladderallotments that do them at a decent price and they also look sturdy: I am strongly considering getting one or two for Christmas. This first one you can see below is an Urban Planter, which would be great for herbs and salad leaves. The other structure I have my eye on is the Urban 3 tier, which will give the courtyard height to add interest to the garden at a different level, rather than having all my pots all at ground level. I will be sure to update as and when I order them.

Urban planter
Urban 3 tier 1000

I am also in the market for a cold frame/mini greenhouse. I am struggling to find one that will be sturdy, classy and not exorbitantly expensive. I have had a look on a major DIY website, but what they have does not convince me. My over-the-fence neighbour has a similar sized plot and has 2 mini-greenhouses that look amazing. I might pop a note through the letterbox and ask where they are from! That's not too creepy, is it? Also, can we just take a moment to remember the amazing one we saw on the Levernshulme Open Garden Day? So inspiring. They made it themselves, I asked.



In terms of produce, I have been pouring over catalogues and books. The two books I have invested in are Patio Produce by Paul Peacock and Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Growing in Small Spaces by John Harrison. I have also been perusing the website Pomona Fruits and my trusted Suttons Seeds.

So far, this is my rather extensive list of what I would love to grow this year:

Specifically for growing in containers:
  • Patio raspberry Ruby Beauty
  • Blackberry bush Reuben.
  • Blueberry bush Sunshine Blue.
  • Pepper Mohawk. Apparently, it grows well in pots, so it is one to look out for. Redskin is also a dwarf variety and might be worth a shot. 
  • Cucumber Baby. Another patio variety, ideal to grow in pots. 
  • Courgette Patio Star. I am not a fan of courgettes really, but my mother-in-law loves them! 
  • Gourmet Potato Patio Growing Kit. I grew potatoes in sacks last summer and they delivered. One variety suffered from under-watering, I think, so it was my fault. I am going to try a different variety as soon as the small option is available. 

Not specific for growing in containers but I would like to grow them nonetheless:
  • Rainbow Mix Carrots. It is not indicate it's suitable for growing in pots, I successfully grew some in deep pots last summer, so I might try my hand at these as well.  
  • Mangeout Multicoloured. Following the line of colourful carrots, I love the look of these purple mangeout! I grew some green snap peas last summer and they were really tasty, so I think I will also grow these to sling into the stir fry. 
  • Chard Bright Lights. Can you see a pattern developing here? I have never grown chard, but I am fairly certain I have eaten before, potentially in a salad...? I think I could grow them in the Ladderallotment :)
For scent as much as for culinary purposes:

No comments:

Post a Comment