Saturday 4 April 2015

Tending to the front garden

I feel front gardens are often overlooked. People seem to pave over them and prefer to park their cars. However, the front garden is, in a way. the first impression people get of your house. I had personally never thought about this as I grew up in a block of flats (typical in Spain) and as a child I had never paid attention to my nan's front garden as, perhaps following the tradition of the 50's and before then, we went straight to the back door.

However, over time I have noticed that my nan took grate pride in having her box hedge pruned properly, and she liked having some roses there too. When it is warmer, and in the next pay day or two, I want to invest in a couple of large plant pots to have outside the door, for example. In the meantime, I have added some friends for the dianthus to grow with. I bought the "Snake's Head" Fritillaria at my local garden centre, and my partner's parents bought me some fragrant viola's as a gift when they visited last weekend.

I think I have kept the Fritillaria in the greenhouse for a tad too long as when I looked at them yesterday they looked a bit thirsty and in fact a couple of flowers had shrivelled up. I watered them and asked them not to die. I left them out overnight, and seeing them this morning gave me an idea. I had left a pot on a step, and it looked rather pretty. Thinking of placing my geraniums on the steps when I can have them outside in May.





I love anemones. They are looking healthy and I love purple.





Tulips are growing nicely. No buds yet, but I am excited to see what colours come out!


My planter is also growing nicely. I have found a new plant that I like. Hyacinths are lovely.


Finally, I have noticed some life with the potatoes! A tiny weeny green thing has given me hope as I was starting to think nothing would grow.



I have been weeding a lot today. This week that I have off I need to really tackle the unruly growth that's happening at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment