Monday 11 January 2016

January update 11.01.2016

I am 15 posts away from transferring the entire blog over to the new site. It is an arduous process, but once it is done it will allow me to build on it and add to it.

This weekend has been a mile stone for me in terms of horticulture. I seem to have obtained an allotment! I started toying with the idea of one last year, but never got round to it due to my type of job at the time and the fact that it wasn't clear where we were going to live. It looks like we are going to stay put for a little while at least, and on New Year's Day I came across what is going to become the site of MY allotment. I made my way over on Saturday simply to get some information, and it turns out there were a couple available. I filled out a form and voilĂ . I am going back on Saturday to measure and take some initial photos as it is quite overgrown, I will also measure it so I can start planning what to grow. I will clear one bed at a time, but I am going to try my best to do as much work as possible without burning out.

In the mean time, these came in the post earlier this week. While I did order them pre-allotment, I still want to grow some veg out in back yard, I have some patio peppers, maybe some salad leaves, chard, etc.



The cats in our neighbourhood keep digging into our heather. I knew about catnip, but heather?? In any case, the poor pot has been moved onto a higher position to avoid any more disturbance. I actually think it looks better there. More of a contrast.


The hellebore has continued to flower prolifically, and the smaller plant is finally showing some flowers. 



The crocus are coming through nicely. I also saw a tiny peak of a daff coming through in the small bed we have to one side.



Now, the highlight of last week. Since the Levenshulme Open Garden weekend I have been obsessed with getting a chimney for the garden. I found this one on Etsy and it turns out the owner was based just down the road from me at English Regalia, in Blakemere Village. We picked it up and now it is waiting patiently for me to find a hat for it. Someone on the Facebook page suggested topiary, it made me think of Alice in Wonderland for some reason.



Ignore the dead plants, they are deciduous! 

No comments:

Post a Comment