Sunday 25 October 2015

Weekend gubbins

A quick update this weekend as it has been a quiet one on gardening front. I cut back the buddleias with a saw I bought and I have put up some bird food now that the colder months are here. I buy from  my local supermarket and it is distributed by RSPB; birds seem to like it and I have already seen beak marks on it :) we used the same style back in the old house and I often saw robins, blue tits and other small birds have a got at it.


I also brought in the geraniums earlier in the week. I pruned them in early September and they have remained mostly healthy, I think only one of them might have died. I will keep them as they are over the winter and I might separate them into different pots come next spring. I have noticed they might come out with yet another bloom (also, note the cure little spider which I'm hoping will help me out with some little green squishy bugs that we all know), which surprised me. I was also surprised, and subsequently unimpressed, to find aphids on a couple of the plants! I put together a solution of water and weak washing up liquid and sprayed those pesky bugs. It took me several attempts but I think, and hope, I have got rid of most of them. I spotted one or two this morning that I promptly sprayed and have seen nothing since then.



I am also going to keep track of how the sun travels around the garden. I want to invest in a cold frame eventually, but I think I might need to put it against the garage, next to the trellis, instead of the house; although the house would let off more heat... I need to mull over that one.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment