Friday 10 July 2015

Show me your garden #1

I am starting a new series on the blog called "Show me you garden". In it I will showcase a normal garden (or allotment!) and, with the exception of today's, my guest will answer 7 questions. Luckily, many friends have accepted to help me out, so I am hopeful that I will be able to give it a good run. If you'd like to take part, also get in touch :)

My first garden is actually an allotment. It belongs to a colleague of mine and her partner. I overheard her talking about the plot at lunch and became very excited that someone else was into growing stuff. There aren't many friends that share my excitement when I say "Look at this cucumber growing!". It normally is received with a sympathetic smile. I don't blame them, I do the same when my partner wants to show me this really truly amazing kick he learned at martial arts.

In any case, E was kind enough to invite me to see her plot. I am moderately interested in getting a plot myself, especially since it's so close to where we currently live. My only qualm is that the boyfriend is not interested and so would barely see me at weekends and evenings. At least at the moment he can come out to see me in the garden! It's something I need to mull over.

I have to say before we start that my phone was running low on battery and took some dodgy photos. We'll have to make do with what we've got.

The allotments are gated and protected from the public. This is what you see after walking a short way from the gate.


I was impressed by the fact that there are wood chips and manure readily accessible to all allotmenteers.



I always find allotments a relaxing site. They are organised, but full of green and the promise of food.

E's plot is a small one, according to her; but she has packed a lot in this small space. She has used the outside for the runner beans. She has another 4 raised beds in which she is growing a range of vegetables. I was envious of her strawberry plants. She has half a raised bed dedicated to them and she managed to collect at least 20-30 berries.





E commented on the fact that the courgette plants seemed to be very close to each other. They seem healthy though, and it just means she can gauge how many plants to pack in one row.



Here is one of my dodgy photos. E was showing how weeds simply grow everywhere. No matter how often you weeded your plot. We did look at other plots that were impecable, but concluded that as most of the plot holders are retired, they do have more time to come up and tend to their lovely crop.


I tried my first gooseberry today. I don't think they are very popular in Spain (where I grew up). They are sour, but very tasty. Now, raspberries. This is something I have decided I need in my life. I need to find a variety that will either grow well in a container or doesn't mind being uprooted when we eventually move out of this house. Albeit small, they were so much tastier than shop bought berries.

Due to it being so, so hot today I forgot to ask questions such as whether they practise companion planting. As E and her boyfriend are the ones tending to the plot, they don't really need to grow a lot. Thus, they seem to grow one row of everything they like to eat.

One thing I have noticed and which will help me a lot is bugs. I have seen loads of them; they worry me because I think they will ruin what I'm growing, but fortunately, spiders are creating webs near places where flying aphids go. There is one particular spider that I'm sure will get big very fast! I'll try and get a photo with my good camera at some point.



 E and I agree that gardening (or tending to the allotment) is an activity that impedes you to do work. That is why I enjoy it so much and I suspect coming to the plot is what helps E switch off from work. Albeit it is near a main road and busy traffic, we felt isolated and secluded from the outside world.



No comments:

Post a Comment